Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fiesta, Fiesta!

Waking up this morning to run was a bit easier than yesterday, now that I have the Chicago Marathon hanging over my head.  I didn't really have a goal in mind this morning.  I guess my goal was to just run, which I did.  I like working out in the morning because it gives me so much energy for the rest of the day and it's one less thing I have to do after I get out of work.  I can't wait for the weather to start warming up here in Chicago, because I hate running in the cold and I hate running (training) on treadmills.  I think they're the worst.  I did a little bit better today with the little time I had. 

   
Today's breakfast was eaten at my desk at work.  I love oatmeal, especially on a cold morning.  I picked up these GF instant oats at Whole Foods over the weekend.  I ate the apple cinnamon flavor this morning with a 1/2 cup of almond milk.  And it was by far the BEST instant oatmeal that I've ever had.  It had a lot of flavor, what tasted like real chunks of apple, and it left me very satisfied!  I would choose this brand over Quaker any day.   
Tonight I went to bar method with my friend, Hollie.  She introduced me to this class back in December and I instantly fell in love with it and signed up for a month unlimited.  After the month I pondered on whether or not I should invest in the 6 month bridal package.  The decision wasn't an easy one because these classes are not cheap and I had a gym membership at the time.  Luckily, I was able to transfer my gym membership to LC so then I didn't feel so bad signing up for bar method.  Now, I work out in our fitness center in our apartment building.  It's not the best, but it has everything that I need and it's never crowded.  After a month of consistently (3-4 times a week) attending bar method, I've already lost some inches off of my waist, hips, thighs, and arms.  During February, I didn't do a ton of cardio and I still lost inches, so I'm excited to see how my body will change this month with adding running into the workout! 

Tonight is Fiesta Wednesday at la casa de Maria :-) On the menu we have goat cheese and shrimp quesadillas, black bean salad, and whole grain mexican rice.  I found the recipe for the quesadillas on another blog, Eat, Live, Run.  And to drink (because what kind of fiesta would this be without some bebitas?) we have my favorite, Skinny Girl Margaritas!!

Here's the recipe for tonight's main dish:
Shrimp & Goat Cheese Quesadillas
serves 2
Ingredients:

4 flour tortillas
8 raw shrimp (frozen or fresh, deveined with tails off)
1/2 cup frozen sauteed pepper and onion mix
1/2 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
pinch of chili powder
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne
salsa and avocado slices for serving

Directions:

Heat up the frozen bell pepper and onion mix in a skillet over high heat for about a minute. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

In the same skillet, spray with cooking spray and crank up the heat to high. Add the shrimp and cook quickly for about thirty seconds. Add the cayenne pepper, salt and chili powder and toss to coat. Immediately take off heat (shrimp cook fast!).

Scatter pepperjack cheese and goat cheese on two tortillas and then top each with four cooked shrimp and a little bit of the onion and pepper mix. Lay other tortillas on top and cook each in a greased skillet over medium heat until the cheese has melted and the tortillas are golden brown and crispy.

Let cool and then cut into four slices with a scissors. Serve with avocado slices and salsa.

Time:

10 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment