Tuesday, August 16, 2011

1/2 Marathon Training Update

 I know it's only Tuesday, but I have a feeling that this week is going to fly by.  I'm very excited because I have no plans to leave Chicago, a rarity for me these days.  Last weekend, I was in WI for my friend's bachelorette party.  I rode a mechanical bull for the first time.  It was a ton of fun!  Her bachelorette party had a rodeo theme to it and my girlfriends did a great job of sticking to it.  

Last night, LC made salmon on the grill.  This summer, he's been really into grilling and I've been loving it.  It his first time grilling salmon and he pretty much got it right on target.  I made mashed sweet potatoes with garlic, carmelized onions, and goat cheese (they were to die for). 

Recipe for Mar's mashed sweet potatoes
3 sweet potatoes
4 oz. goat cheese
1 clove minced garlic
1 sweet onion
1 tbsp olive oil

*Place baked potatoes in the oven for about an hour.  While they're cooking, peel and chop the onion.  Heat up the olive oil and cook the onions on a lower heat setting until they get to be nice and brown (about a 1/2 hour).  Once the potatoes are done, take then out of the oven and let them cool for a bit.  Peel them and place in a bowl.  Mix in the goat cheese, onions and garlic.  Place in a serving bowl.  (I put mine in the microwave last night for about a minute to get them extra hot). Enjoy!!

Tonight I'm scheduled to run 5 miles...the longest run I've had throughout this marathon training :-/  I'm going to pay for it the day after, I just know from previous experience.  My friend, who's also running the 1/2 with me, and I set out to run 8 miles on Saturday but got caught in a rainstorm at about mile 2.  I was going to try and run 8 on Sunday but my shoes were still soaked and my head was still recovering from all of that bull-riding fun :-/ So I opted for a nice little walk instead.  I know this race won't be my best, but I'm happy to be running it.  My ankle sprain took forever to heal and I didn't think I'd be doing any races this year.

I have some exciting news to share with you all!!!  Maybe the picture below will give you a little hint of some exciting posts that are coming your way ;-) 
    

1 comment:

  1. thank you for posting the healthy sweet potatoes recipe! one of my ultimate faves :) will try out for sure. can't wait to read ur exciting news :)

    ReplyDelete