Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Toning up for the Wedding...The Bar Method Way


I'm baaaackkk! The wedding absolutely perfect.  I could not have asked for a more wonderful day.  Our honeymoon to Napa was just what I needed to recuperate from all the wedding planning.  We lazily toured vineyards, sipped wine, took afternoon naps, ate at delicious restaurants and relaxed by our fire pit every night.  Wonderfulness. 

But more on the wedding & honeymoon details later (with lots of pics!).  Right now, I want to talk more about The Bar Method.  What is The Bar Method? It's a workout that integrates the fat burning format of interval training, the muscle shaping technique of isometrics, the elongating principles of dance conditioning, and the science of physical therapy to create a revolutionary new workout that quickly and safely reshapes your entire body (source). 

I was first introduced to Bar Method last December by one of my co-workers.  She e-mailed me a free trial class and I went that same day.  When we were instructed to pick up 2 & 3lb weights, I thought to myself, 'How bad can this be?'  At the end of the upper body workout, my arms felt like noodles and I wanted to walk out because I was scared of what else was to come.  But after that one class I was hooked and I signed up for the 30 day new client special.  I started in December, but I wish I would've waited until January only because I had so much going during the month(with the holidays & all) that I didn't get to go as often as I wanted to. 

After my one month ran out, I took January to think about what I wanted to commit to.  After a few weeks of not going, I really missed it and felt my body getting "soft".  I had never felt this way about a workout before and in the beginning of February, I signed up for the 6 month bridal package.  

Bar Method has changed my body in the way no workout ever has.  Since February, I've attended a total of 53 classes, averaging about 3-4 classes per week.  (In April I suffered a really bad ankle sprain from running and had to take a two week break, but I believe it was some of The Bar Method exercises that helped strengthen my injured ankle)  On non-BM days, I did the elliptical or ran.  In total, I've lost 10 lbs & 6 inches.  I've seen the most change in my thighs with a total loss of 2.25 inches.  Not too shabby :-)  During my final dress fitting, the seamstress had to take my dress in because it felt too loose on me and even on my wedding day, it still fit very comfortably.  I could eat, sit, and dance all without being sucked into my dress.

Not only has The Bar Method helped me physically, it was a good mental escape from dealing with the stress of wedding planning and also allowed me time to focus soley on myself.  My "me" time is something that I cherish and I will continue to take classes even after the wedding because I believe this hour I devote just to myself will help make me a better (and more patient) wife :-) 

If you haven't tried The Bar Method yet, look it up to see if it's in your area and go!!! 

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! You looked beautiful! Can't wait to see more pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your dress is gorgeous! And also congrats on losing weight and toning up, I'm interested in this bar method!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! You're married! Your dress looks amazing on you :) I haven't heard of any bar method classes around me :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're amazing! your story is very inspiring!

    -Mel
    San Angelo,TX ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay you are back! Gosh you look absolutely wonderful! I hope your wedding was everything and more! Can't wait to see pictures!!!

    oh and I will look into this bar method thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS! u've inspired me to keep up the Bar!

    ReplyDelete