Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01

I was a junior in high school when the tragedy of 9/11 happened.  We were outside playing golf for gym class and the teacher told us we had to go inside.  I remember being happy about this because I hated golf.  It wasn't until I got to my next class that I realized what was going on.  Watching the television footage and seeing the second plane hit the tower is something that I will never forget.  Little did I know at the age of 16 how this would effect my life.

I joined the military in 2003 shortly after high school.  I will be honest and say that I joined mainly because of the educational benefits & the opportunity to travel.  I've been extremely lucky to have never had to be deployed anywhere dangerous.  My list of deployments include Colorado, Mississippi, Texas & two weeks in Turkey.

In 2006 I started dating my now husband.  In 2008 our unit was set to deploy to Afghanistan.  They asked for volunteers first.  I said "no" to overseas but if they needed me to come backfill at the base, I would do so.  LC and I had talked about our decisions before hand I knew that he wanted to deploy.  As much as I didn't want him to go, I told him that if it's something that he really wanted to do, I would support him 100%. 

At our next drill weekend, they put up a list of who was going overseas and who was backfilling.  I waited until I got home to cry.
If someone had told me on September 11, 2001 that I would have a boyfriend serving in Afghanistan seven years later, I wouldn't have believed them because that was not how I had envisioned my life.  But I couldn't be more proud of him and the decisions that he has made.  His bravery and selflessness is something that I truly admire about him and that make him the person that he is.

Let us never forget all of those who lost their lives that day, who continue to put their lives on the line for our freedom daily and their families who are supporting their efforts.  God Bless America :-) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment